With so many attractions, it’s easy to see why New York City ranks number one as “best trip for solo female travelers in the…
We travel for a number of different reasons: work, leisure, family. Whether you are scouting out the web for cheap flights, booking hotels, searching for luxury vacation rentals or trying to find the perfect little bed and breakfast, you are most likely sifting through dozens of websites to find all the best cheap vacation destinations and travel deals. While the travel opportunities are nearly endless, there are a few places and cheap vacation spots for honeymoon that are most frequented by millions of people every year. Check out the Top 10 most visited cities in the U.S.
1. New York City, New York- This city makes the top of the list with 59.7 million visitors annually. While many people travel here with family summer vacation ideas on a budget or on business, there is plenty to do on the leisure side of things. Times Square NYC is undoubtedly the most visited spot in the city as it boasts iconic storefronts for plenty of shopping, a host of restaurants; both casual dining and fine dining, as well as the set location for several popular TV shows. See historical monuments such as The Empire State Building, The Statue of Liberty, and the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. Visit The Met, NYC’s world famous art museum or the American Museum of Natural History. You will need more than a day or two to do all the things you’ll want to do in this larger than life city.
2. Chicago, Illinois- The Windy City comes in at #2 most visited U.S. city with 54.1 million visitors. McCormick Place, Chicago’s premier convention center, offers the largest amount of exhibition space in North America (2.6 million square feet).Chicago is home to a number of historical places in the US. Willis Tower (formerly the Sears tower) is the tallest building in the US (by roof height). Wrigley Field is the second oldest ballpark in Major League Baseball. Navy Pier is home to a 15-story Ferris wheel, modeled after the original one that debuted in Chicago in 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition. Take an architectural boat tour, enjoy one of the 700 public art works or one of the 125 art galleries, shop along the Magnificent Mile, and don’t forget to try some authentic deep dish pizza. Come in March on cheap flight tickets and see the Chicago River dyed green in honor of St. Patrick’s Day.
3. Atlanta, Georgia- This jewel of the south is home to the world’s busiest airport and sees over 51 million visitors each year. History is a big part of what makes Atlanta what it is, so start your exploration at the Atlanta History Center. Pay tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. at his former home or visit the 21-acre Centennial Olympic Park and the adjoining Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, and Center for Civil and Human Rights. The city also is home to LEGOLAND Discovery center and Six Flags theme park. Find great shopping, romantic hotels on a budget, enjoy fine dining, or take part in the city’s active night life scene. Atlanta won’t disappoint.
4. Anaheim, California- Anaheim sits just outside of Los Angeles in Orange County, California. Number 4 on our list, this city received 48.2 million tourists in 2016. Most of these individuals visit Disneyland, the first amusement park by Walt Disney. Anaheim Stadium is home to the Los Angeles Angels baseball team. Anaheim is definitely full of things to do on summer break, including kid and family friendly things to do.
5. Orlando, Florida- Home to another Disney Park- Walt Disney World, Orlando sees approximately 48 million visitors a year. Disney World has various golf courses, things to do on vacation, hotels, cheap & discount car rentals, camping, two water parks, and four theme parks. Universal Studios is another popular attraction that provides visitors with several interactive experiences involving movies. For an educational element, tourists can also check out Gatorland, which has thousands of reptiles, and Kennedy Space Center, a NASA visitor area and space mission launch site.
6. Los Angeles, California- Los angeles is the largest city on the west coast and the 2nd largest city in the US. LA saw 47.3 million tourists in 2016. Hollywood and Beverly HIlls are well known neighborhoods within LA city limits. Beverly Hills is known for its super deluxe lifestyle. This is where you will find travel tours for couples, most upscale shopping along palm-lined Rodeo Drive, luxury hotels, posh boutiques, and bustling cafes. Take a stroll down the 15 blocks of Hollywood Boulevard that is home to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. There is a pretty reasonable probability of spotting someone famous in LA.
7. Las Vegas, Nevada- Located in the Mojave Desert, Las Vegas is the largest city in Nevada. This city is recognized around the world as an excellent spot for gambling, shopping, entertainment, nightlife, and dining. No wonder nearly 43 million people come here. The first stop for most people is the world famous 2.5 mile stretch known as The Strip. The Strip is lined with luxury hotels and over the top casino resorts. The Bellagio is one of the best of these hotels, cheap places to travel internationally and offers an impressive water fountain display every half hour from 3 pm to 8 pm each day. Visitors can ride to the top of the 1,149-foot Stratosphere for 360° views of the city. Other famous sites include gondola rides at the Venetian Hotel, dine in a replica of the Eiffel Tower, and book tickets to a show at Caesar’s Palace.
8. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania- Philadelphia is city of historical importance related to the founding of our country. It sees an average of 42 million visitors annually, There are a large number of historical places to visit, including numerous historical sites and historical monuments. Philadelphia is home to the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall where the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence were written. Head over to the oldest farmers market in the country, Reading Terminal Market, and try a variety of local dishes. While here trying an authentic philly cheese steak is a must. Philadelphia also offers a number of historical tours and walking tours. You will find yourself feeling a bit more patriotic after visiting the City of Brotherly Love.
9. San Diego, California- With a warm and sunny climate year-round, San Diego is an ideal vacation spot located along the Pacific coast of southern California. Drawing in an average of 34.9 million visitors to its temperate climes, you will be delighted to take a stroll along Marine Beach or visit the San Diego Zoo. SeaWorld is also a popular attraction for kid friendly activities. For anyone interested in history, the Maritime Museum is full of information about the history of San Diego as a seaport. The USS Midway Museum is in a real military aircraft carrier and offers a look into the life of US Navy members stationed on these vessels.
10. San Francisco, California- San Francisco marks our #10 most visited city in the US at 25 million yearly visitors and the 4th most visited city in California. Being the northernmost of the California cities on our list, it is host to cooler weather which is often a surprise to visitors. Much of San Francisco’s fame is due to its pastel Victorian homes, eclectic food scene, and easy-going artistic culture. San Francisco is notorious for its steep hills and its iconic cable cars are actually a national historic landmark. Be sure to checkout Fisherman’s Wharf and City Lights Bookstore when you visit. Find cheap vacation packages to San Francisco here.